Home

Cape Town wants to stage mega fight PDF Print E-mail

Manny Pacquiao yesterday accepted US rival Floyd Mayweather's challenge for a showdown of the world's top pound-for-pound boxers, though sticking points to the mega fight remain.
The unbeaten Mayweather dared the Philippine icon this week on Twitter to "Step up, punk", attempting to entice Pacquiao into a May 5 bout in Las Vegas, a fight that boxing fans have wanted to see for years.

Mayweather and Pacquiao, 33, previously saw a fight derailed by the US fighter's demands about blood testing, with both boxers accusing the other of running scared.

In a bold statement, the City of Cape Town said it would seriously consider a bid to host the mega fight, but the prospect seems highly unlikely - for financial reasons.

"I want to fight him. This is the fight the world wants," Pacquiao declared through his US promoter Bob Arum.

Pacquiao, 54-3 with two draws and 38 knockouts, said if the 34-year-old Mayweather, 42-0 with 26 knockouts, can find a promoter who would give him a guaranteed purse, the fight would be on.

Arum said he favours a showdown in late May and previously told the Los Angeles Times he could secure $40-million more with the construction of a temporary venue in Las Vegas before more than twice as many spectators.

"Mayweather wants a guaranteed purse so what he has to do is get a promoter who can give him that," Pacquiao said. "I don't have that problem because I have a promoter who will give me my purse."

Arum said that if there was to be no fight in late May against the American then he would move forward with a Pacquiao clash on June 9 against someone else.

Source: The Times, January 13 2012

 

Add comment


Security code
Refresh

syndication

feed-image Feed Entries